Welcome to our Blog. This is a companion piece to our exceptional hard copy version of the Fort Valley State University Englishear. Here you'll find interviews and insights that we couldn't print, plus surveys and articles that we think are good reads. Have fun and come back soon!

Monday, March 20, 2006

Angry Black Guy Takes on...

a letter to the miseducated
i have encountered so many different people while working at my current occupation and just from being able to live. it's weird to see how others view me- you think that i'm a certain kind of way because of the way that i dress; but this is a part of my culture, part of the way i grew up. it's all that i know and i am proud of every part of it. you people are surprised to witness my use of correct language and "oh how amazing it is!" that i can make my subjects and verbs agree because that it's just unheard of!- right? my pants are so comfortable to me; and that's why i wear them the way that i do. i don't want my shirt to feel like a bra; and that's why it is an XL instead of a L. not to mention, i think i'm kind of fly. and if you don't know what i mean by fly, then i'll put it in terms that you could better understand. synonyms include: charming, refined, sophisticated, stylish, tasteful, handsome, graceful- do you get where i'm going now?

but i have no intentions of explaining myself to those who do not hunger to learn more about my character and personality or that of people who are mirror images of myself. if my appearance threatens you or causes you to feel uneasy, then i suggest that you turn the other way or possibly close your eyes and pray that i disappear before you open them again. sure, there are others who look like me who do some things that i don't even approve of; however, there are others like you who do even more things that i blatantly disapprove of, but nobody has stopped them from running the country or making inappropriate decisions that cause our economy to fall into the deepest craters know to man.

no, i won't rob you so don't lock your car door when i walk past your vehicle; and i'm not going to steal your purse so you can let it swing if that pleases you. imagine how that must feel to an ignorant person, the mirror image of yourself, knowing that another individual feels threatened just by their presence. feels like a sense of power and domination if you ask me. i, however, am an educated individual, so i smile at your ignorance. you see, you have just shown me that you feel threatened by me; and you think that i sell drugs because i drive a lexus and you can hear my radio from around the corner. i can only laugh. you are so miseducated! but i don't expect you to understand me. i'm a complicated person but in your eyes i am so shallow- the edge of the ocean that you just put you feet in to get them wet. you are so incorrect. the depths of this human mind grow each and every day. educated...educating...on the rise.

it's not that i don't like you. i smile at you. i'm just proud of me, proud to be where i am and have the ability the imagine what you are imagining about me. regardless of what you think or believe, i still love me. always have, always will. educate yourself. make a change.

peace and love
gkg
posted by Greg at 10:48 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home