Welcome to our Blog. This is a companion piece to our exceptional hard copy version of the Fort Valley State University Englishear. Here you'll find interviews and insights that we couldn't print, plus surveys and articles that we think are good reads. Have fun and come back soon!

Monday, March 20, 2006

chasing the light 2

she put me out of class yestderday
and i'm not surprised
if i were her, i'd do it too
but i cannot understand how
she felt it necessary
to silence me
degrade me
insult me
in front of my men
black men
but then again
they can't see her for my light
illuminating her inferiority
casting shadow on her intellect
so i had to be destroyed
but i'm teflon
stainless steel reinforced
so of course i'm going back
to make my presence known
intellectual
demanding to be respected
demanding to be taught
demanding that my culture be acknowledged
demanding that my hustle not be in vain.
i have to be so demanding because
life is so demanding of me.
i will be who i are unapologetically
who will you be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home